The Regional Office of Education #26 serves area teachers and administrators with all aspects of their licensure needs. Our office provides assistance with license applications, renewals/registrations, adding endorsements and improvements on existing licenses, and utilizing the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
NOTE: ELIS is where ISBE draws data for renewal, audits, and other instances where communication is needed. It is imperative that educators keep their email, phone numbers, and home address current.
In order to contact the Licensure Department at ROE26, please email [email protected].
Educator Renewal Update
Educator renewal opened on April 1 and will continue until Aug. 31 for PELs, CTEs, and CSBOs. If these licenses are not successfully renewed by Aug. 31, they will be changed to lapsed status and will not be valid for employment in an Illinois public, charter, or state-operated school. Please remind educators that they have until Aug. 31 to complete the required PD hours and to renew their license.
All substitute and paraprofessional licenses that were not renewed by June 30 have been moved to an invalid status and are not eligible for employment until renewed. Renewal resources can be found on our webpage.
- ISBE: Illinois Educator Licensure
- Educator Licensure Requirements
- ISBE Flyer: Are you prepared for license renewal?
- Renewal and Reinstatement
- Renewal and Professional Development for Educators
- Steps for Creating an ELIS Account (Video)
- License Renewal Help Guide
- Steps for Substitute License Application
- Substitute Teaching Packet
- Substitute Reimbursement Information
- Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status
- Statement of Good Health
- License Renewal Help Guide
- Steps to be added to ROE Sub List
Short Term Substitute License
- Short Term Substitute License
- Scroll down on ISBE page to section titled Short Term Substitute License.
- Click the down arrow to reveal information.
- Short Term Substitute License Application Requirements and Sub Packet
- At least 19 years of age
- One of the following:
- Associate’s Degree or higher
- 60 semester hours of coursework
- High School Diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Parapro
- High School Diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys:
- Applied Mathematics/Applied Math (with a score of 4)
- Reading for information/Workplace Documents (with a score of 4)
Notes: Paraprofessional licenses are valid for 5 years, and may be renewed with the payment of registration fees. If you hold a Paraprofessional License and have a Bachelor’s Degree on file, you are qualified to be a substitute teacher
- Short Term Approval for Paraprofessionals
- Available for application starting August 18, 2022. While working on the approval, educators must be fulfilling requirements for the full license.
- Valid for 3 years/Not Renewable
Requirement: High school diploma or its equivalent
- Paraprofessional Testing and Licensure Information
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.