DECATUR, Ill. — When life is uncertain, it’s important to focus on personal wellness to help you and your family thrive during difficult times. Join University of Illinois Extension starting March 26 for a free weekly webinar series focused on building resiliency, clearing clutter, being mindful and more.
The “Discover Wellness At Home” six-part series of webinars are free and will be 2 to 3 p.m. CDT on Thursdays. They are available to the public to view remotely online from the comfort of home or anywhere with internet access. Sign up online at go.illinois.edu/WellnessAtHome at least two days in advance. Participants will receive a confirmation email with webinar connection details.
“This series features timeless topics, developed to help individuals and families thrive during life transitions and difficult times,” said Chelsey Byers, Illinois Extension Family Life educator. “We know many people now suddenly are finding themselves at home and we can still deliver the same high-quality, research informed programs in a virtual format.
- How High Do You Bounce? Building your Resilience, March 26 – With stress identified as a global health epidemic, it is now more important than ever to build resiliency skills to thrive during times of difficulty. Highly resilient people can adapt, recover and grow stronger from adverse situations. Learn how to create opportunities from challenges by building an action plan that nurtures resiliency. Presented by Tessa Hobbs-Curley and Karla Belzer.
- Caregiver Self-Care: Overcoming the Challenges of Caregiving, April 2 – We all know someone who is providing care for someone else. It is a rewarding experience for most, but caregivers experience many difficult emotions and losses along their journey. This workshop will focus on overcoming the challenges of caregiving and will examine how to identify and prevent caregiver stress and techniques for self-care. Presented by Cheri Burcham and Tessa Hobbs-Curley.
- Simplify Your Life by Clearing the Clutter, April 9 – Does the clutter in your house cause you stress? Is the mess starting fights with family members? Are you too overwhelmed to know where to start? If this sounds like you or someone you know, join us to learn strategies, develop a plan to organize your life and reduce stress. Presented by Molly Hofer and Chelsey Byers.
- Who Gets Grandma’s Pie Plate, April 16 – It’s a touchy subject, but have you ever considered where your valued possessions will end up? This session features information about the importance of including personal title and non-titled property as part of estate and inheritance planning. Explore strategies for speaking with family members about distributing family items with emotional and sentimental value and preventing family conflict. Presented by Chelsey Byers and Molly Hofer.
- Being Mindful During Difficult Times, April 23 – During times of stress, our mental, emotional and physical health can suffer as we disconnect from life. Mindfulness is the act of actively paying attention to the present moment. The simple practice of being present can make life more enjoyable and reduce stress. Participants will explore the benefits of mindfulness meditation and learn techniques that reduce stress and increase life satisfaction. Presented by Karla Belzer and Cheri Burcham.
- Someday is Today – Live Your Bucket List, April 30 – Do you have personal goals that always end up on the back burner because “life happens?” If you say “I’ll get to that someday,” and “when things slow down,” on a regular basis, then you need to work on your bucket list. The point of a bucket list is to help you live your life to the fullest by reaching all of your goals. Join us to learn how to create a bucket list and set exciting goals to pursue your interests and fulfill your dreams. Presented by Karla Belzer and Cheri Burcham.
The University of Illinois Extension Nutrition & Wellness program encourages individuals, families and communities to live healthier through online and in-person skill sharing. Learn about managing diabetes, safely preserving foods, being food-safe at home and making healthier choices when shopping, cooking and meal planning. More information is available at go.illinois.edu/dmp or find us on Facebook or Twitter @uie_DMP.
30-second PSA – When life is uncertain, it’s important to focus on personal wellness to help you and your family thrive during difficult times. Join University of Illinois Extension for a free webinar “Discover Wellness At Home” where you will learn how to build resiliency, clear clutter and be more mindful. Watch the six-part series from the comfort of home starting March 26 from 2 to 3 p.m. CDT on Thursdays. Sign up online at go.illinois.edu/WellnessAtHome.
Source: Karla Belzer, MS, RD, University of Illinois Extension, Family Life Educator serving Carroll, Lee and Whiteside Counties, (815) 632-3611, [email protected]
News Writer: Emily Steele, Publicity Promotion Associate